Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Knitting, or Gifts for Other People

I didn't get my invisible zipper foot, but when I got home from work on Monday, there was a happy little package waiting for me.


They're US size 17 (12mm) knitting needles! Did I mentione that I knit too?


I knitted myself a scarf last year, and my little sister started bugging me about it. "When are you going to make me a scarf, Abby?" She's turning 25 next month. :) She was still bugging me about the scarf when I saw her last week, but she has no idea that I've actually started it and intend it to be her Christmas gift. I went to a cute little specialty store downtown and bought the most luxurious merino wool I could find. It's beautiful to work with and so soft, and the colors are gorgeous too. It's every shade of gray you could imagine seeing in the winter, from the pale color of snow on a moonlit midnight to dusky blue, deep purple, and the ash of a cold fire (when I was in high school, I thought I was a poet). The yarn suggested size 13-17 needles, so I thought 15 would be good, but once I started, I realized I wanted it to be a little chunkier than it was. And none of the stores around here sell bigger needles! Argh!

Etsy to the rescue! I started knitting the scarf on Monday night as soon as I opened the package, and yesterday afternoon, I had a decent bit done. The lighting in my office is surprisingly really good. It might have something to do with the giant windows right behind my desk. Maybe. :) Even this lighting can't do these colors justice, though. Anyway, I'm knitting this by alternating one knit stitch and one purl stitch. It looks exactly the same on both sides and it's also extra thick and plush, because the purls get pulled back, which makes it almost double layered. I'm also going to join the ends together to make it into an infinity scarf. Uber-chic, you know?


Just so you have an idea of exactly how large these needles are, they're about as thick as my forefinger. Craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment