Thursday, July 14, 2011

UFOs: A Comprehensive List

I have a habit of starting projects, getting really into them, then discovering something else, starting it, discovering yet another new thing, etc. You get the picture. My current list:


  • wedding invites - I finished designing and printing them; now I need to cut them out, get envelopes, and address and send them.

  • blue sun dress - Remember the sheet dress? I still have to replace the bodice, insert a zipper, and hem the whole thing.

  • cloaks - I'm making Renaissance-style cloaks for myself and my partner. Hers is half cut out (the lining is not cut yet) and partially sewn. Mine... I don't even have fabric for it yet. :)

  • white dress - I bought a beautiful white-on-white embroidered cotton to make Simplicity 3562. It's been washed and the pattern has been tissue-fit, but I have yet to even press and cut the fabric.

  • paper beads - I'm into all sorts of different crafty things. I discovered a tutorial for these here, then proceeded to make a variety from notepad paper and scraps. I don't actually have any varnish, however, so they're just kind of hanging out waiting to be finished. I'm planning on using some of these as a birthday present for a close friend next month.

  • gray skirt - This skirt started as a cute thrift-store find. I removed the intensive beading and sequins blanketing the front of the skirt and took out the hem so I could shorten it. I'm thinking about taking it in at the sides to make it a high-waisted skirt and adding some pretty embroidery to the hem as well.

  • gray & brown circle skirt - My partner found this gorgeous gray-ish fabric that's got all kinds of tan and purple shades in it, and the only color I could find to line it with was brown. So I made the skirt, lined it with the brown, put in side-seam pockets (also in the brown), and then realized that I don't actually like brown all that much. *sigh* I'm not really sure where to go from there. Should I rip apart all of my hard work and start over with another lining, or should I just finish it and relegate it to the not-much-worn corner?

  • embroidered hand-bound books - I'm working on making my own bookcloth, and embroidering it with fairy-tale inspired designs. I've embroidered three, and I have to paste them to stabilizing paper and bind them up.

I also want to make a skirt to go with my corset for the Renaissance Festival this year, and I'd love to make up a top (or four) out of the pattern I just bought from SelvedgeShop on Etsy:




I've got to get organized! I've got to get it together! There's a Lucy quote in there somewhere from Charlie Brown Christmas (You've got to take direction, you've got to have discipline, you've got to have respect for your director!). I'm going to work on finishing my UFOs. From now on, one project at a time. Or maybe two. First I need to focus on the wedding invites. After that, I'll finish the cloak I've started (the other one can wait). And then? Who knows! But until I'm done with the things on this list, I'm not going to start anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment